What is the status of Qnbn roll out plan?
Qnbn’s efforts are currently underway to connect towers and compounds in the West Bay area, as well as the Msheireb Downtown Doha project. Barwa City, Barwa Commercial Avenue and six central offices have also been connected. Qnbn has also finalized many major agreements with some of the country’s best-known names in the real estate developments, healthcare, oil and gas, education, and government sectors for providing private networks. Qnbn are also working closely with real estate developers to ensure that their projects are ready for high-speed broadband networks.
How long will the construction phase take?
The broadband network is available or work has commenced in my area – what are my next steps?
Qnbn has developed a map that will show where the fiber network is being installed and available in your street or about to be available in your street.
Click here to track the progress of the network to your destination [link to map]
What are Qnbn’s goals?
Qnbn’s main goal is to have a nationwide overage for its network’s infrastructure offering end users the ability to choose their preferred broadband service provider.
Accordingly, Qnbn is working with the MICT to meet the four major targets of the National Broadband Plan, and in the longer term, to translate the Qatar National Vision 2030 focusing on human, social, economic and environment development. Accordingly, all businesses, schools, hospitals and government institutions will be able to access at least 1 Gbps download and upload speeds by 2016. Additionally, Qatar’s population will have the ability to choose between a minimum of two service providers by 2016, and households will have the ability to access affordable and high-quality broadband service of at least 100 Mbps effective download and 50 Mbps effective upload speeds by 2016.
What does Qnbn stand for?
Qatar National Broadband Network. It represents the initial letters of the company name.
What does Qnbn do?
Qnbn is an independent company wholly owned by the government, with a mandate to enable accessible high-speed communications with a cutting edge fiber optics platform across Qatar. Qnbn is building a shareable fiber network infrastructure to provide maximum nation coverage.
Qnbn is vital to Qatar’s future development serving the wider digitization agenda of the country. Through its visionary and collaborative approach to the market, Qnbn will help to empower the nation with high-speed broadband fiber access to citizens and businesses alike.
Under whose auspices is Qnbn operating?
Qnbn is one of the region’s first government initiatives operating with the mandate to drive nation-wide fiber optic broadband infrastructure roll-out.
Is Qnbn private or public?
Qnbn is a commercially registered company owned 100% by the Qatari government.
What is the purpose of Qnbn and its scope of work?
Qnbn is committed to being the conduit of Qatar’s advancement as it provides the latest fiber optic broadband infrastructure to help achieve a knowledge-based digital economy. This will have a transformational impact on the community, whilst accelerating innovation and knowledge sharing. It will also enable Qatar to consolidate its place as one of the most dynamic, progressive and fastest growing economies in the region.
Qnbn’s fiber optic broadband infrastructure empowers citizens and businesses across the nation. It does so by enabling the delivery the Internet speeds people require to succeed at work, enjoy the capabilities of the Internet at home, education, healthcare, and experience more efficient and responsive public services in their everyday life.
What is Qnbn’s role and position vis a vis service providers such as Vodafone and Ooredoo?
Qnbn has signed agreements with national service providers. Hence Qnbn will lease its passive fiber optic broadband infrastructure for service providers so that they offer their broadband services to end users.
What is fiber?
Fiber optic cable is the next-generation alternative to copper wire networks and is at least 10 times faster than conventional broadband. It will transform the community and enterprise by bringing with it enhanced services, multi-media entertainment at faster download speeds, cost savings, more choice, increased competitiveness and improved sustainability.
Fiber-optic communication is a method of transmitting information by sending pulses of light through an optical fiber. The light forms an electromagnetic carrier wave that is modulated to carry information. Fiber-optic communication systems have revolutionized the telecommunications industry. Because of their advantage over electrical transmission, optical fibers have largely replaced copper wire communications in core networks in the developed world as the most reliable solution for Internet access.
Fiber optic cable is at least 10 times faster than conventional broadband and considered the most reliable and future proof solution for Internet access. Fiber networks, which are capable of providing near-limitless capacity, offer the most future-proof approach to meeting broadband demand over the long term, not only for fixed services, but also for mobile backhaul.
Fiber optic broadband infrastructure will have a dramatic effect on economic and social development in Qatar, opening up a new world of Internet media and information, and deliver better online government, business, health and education services to the nation – all at the speed of light. This will make Qatar the most well-connected country in the GCC.
How will fiber optic broadband infrastructure benefit me?
The overall benefits of fiber optic broadband infrastructure are the improvements to Internet access, making it:
- Faster: downloading, multi-tasking, optimum streaming
- Better: more channels/content, more service innovations, from VOD to teleconferencing
- Clearer: unbeatable landline transmission and picture quality
- More sustainable: distinct cost and environmental advantages
- Most advanced in the region: speeds 100+Mbps, serving homes and businesses
Everyone will benefit and that will bring the Internet at the speed of light to their home. This will:
- Improve the quality of life at home providing clearer reception and better sound and vision;
- Make entertainment come alive in the home with HDTV and video on demand;
- End-users will be able to send and receive data in an instant, communicate on social media, shop online, download DVDs in minutes and share photos in seconds, whilst making video calls to stay connected at the same time – and do all these faster, more easily and more effectively.
- Enable you to work from home and avoid traffic and reduce carbon emissions
For businesses, fiber optic broadband infrastructure will:
- Give businesses of all sizes, from SMEs to large international corporations, a boost from the high speeds of fiber optic broadband infrastructure.
- Make businesses more competitive and empower SMEs
- Save cost by eliminating the need to travel for meetings and instead rely on eco-friendly video conferencing
- Create a more favorable innovation and investment climate
- Boost the efficiency of e-government services. Broadband will make Government data more accessible, facilitate the development of new applications and services; reduce government costs and the costs of accessing government services by increasing the use of online channels; and deliver front-line services to where they are most needed, at a lower cost.
- Speed up the development of e-health applications, enabling the exchange of patients’ digital health records among healthcare stakeholders and practitioners, and promoting telemedicine. Containing the patient’s complete medical history, digital health records will eventually enable practitioners to access this information irrespective of their location, reducing the strain on central medical institutions, and improving the accuracy of diagnoses.
- Ensure that real estate projects are future-ready and that they are capable of sustaining high-speed broadband in the long term. Qnbn has signed internal building infrastructure and cabling agreements with several developers.
- Enable better customer relationship management, stock and inventory control, knowledge management, backup and storage of data through faster, more efficient and effective connections
- Open up new possibilities in cloud computing with benefits including disaster recovery, security, new applications, bandwidth speeds and data transfer